The Africa Missions Association was formed in September 2013 at the Ghana 2013 Global Mission Consultation through the initiative of representatives of the Nigerian Evangelical Missions Association and the Ghanaian Evangelical Missions Association. In recognition of the growing demand for national missions associations, it was agreed in concert with those from 9 other countries to form a regional body that would assist in the development of national mission associations throughout Africa. For this purpose a constitution was drafted and ratified by the 11 founding nations.
CONSTITUTION OF AFRICA MISSIONS ASSOCIATION
Conscious of the urgency of this hour in human history, the growing challenge of the unevangelized millions of the earth, the clear commission of our risen Lord to lead men in all nations to faith and obedience, and the inner compulsion of the Holy Spirit stirring us to move beyond our own peoples, nations, and cultures to carry the light of the Gospel to all those who yet sit in the darkness and shadow of death.
We HEREBY declare ourselves united for the establishment of an Africa Missions Association and resolve that:
Chapter One: General Provisions
Article I The Name
This organization shall be called the AFRICA MISSIONS ASSOCIATIONS (herein after referred to as AfMA).
Article II The Location
The office of the Association shall be in any Africa Country chosen for that purpose.
Article III The Objectives
The objectives of AfMA shall be:
- To promote cooperative action in mission among member agencies and association.
- To provide coordination Establish national Association of mission agencies in Africa.
- To provide mutual assistance in developing missions and exchange of personnel.
- To encourage the establishment of national missions associations where none exists.
- To cultivate sound relationship of churches and missions.
- And to take all other convenient and prudent actions in the interest of the member associations.
Article IV The Character
The character of the Association shall be fixed by ht e following relationships:
- Regional relationship: the Association shall be a voluntary parastructure of national missions associations and individual association.
- Interregional relationship: the Association shall seek mutual fellowship and cooperation with similar associations in other regions.
- World relationship: the Association shall seek fellowship with an evangelical world body of national missions associations to promote united action.
Chapter Two: Membership and Subscription
Article V Standard of Faith
In order to become a member of the AfMA each member shall be required to subscribe to the standard of faith of the Association:
- We believe in the Bible, which was given and sacredly inspired by God, as infallible and thoroughly trustworthy, and the supremely authoritative book of faith and conduct.
- We believe in One God, eternally coexistent in the Trinity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, who is God manifested in the flesh, His Virgin birth, His sinless life, His divine miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His mediatorial work, and His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe in the salvation of the lost by faith, irrespective of works, through the shed blood of Jesus Christ and the regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit who by His indwelling enables the believers to live uprightly, to witness for the Lord Jesus Christ, and to live for Him and who impels, equips and energizes His Church for mission to the peoples of the whole world.
- We believe in the unity of all believers and in the Church, the Body of Christ.
- We believe in the resurrection of the saved and the lost; the former to eternal life and the latter to eternal condemnation.
Article VI Categories of Membership
Full membership will consist of national or regional associations of missions and mission agencies in good standing in a national or regional missions association where these exist.
- Associate membership will include agencies of non-African missionaries and service agencies who are working in Africa.
- Membership shall be granted at the approval of the Executive Committee and presented to the whole body at a General Assembly.
Article VII Annual Subscription
Every member shall pay the annual subscription determined by the General Assembly.
Chapter Three: THE GENERAL COUNCIL
Article VIII The General Council
The General Council shall consist of two delegate nominated from each member mission association and one from each agency.
- The General Council shall meet at least once in every two years at a time and place determined by the Executive Committee.
Article IX Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall be elected at the General Assembly and its membership shall have a geographical spread in the continent among the member countries. Only one member shall be elected from each country if need be.
- Each national mission association and agency shall ensure that all persons elected are from member agencies and Association.
- The Executive Committee shall function on behalf of and be responsible to the General Council and shall report annually in writing to the member bodies regarding finance, program, and personnel.
- The Executive Committee shall meet at least once between the General Council at a time and place determined by the Executive Committee. When unable to meet, they may conduct their business by mail.
- Each member of the Executive Committee shall serve for three years subject to re-election
Article X Composition of the Executive Committee
The following officers shall be elected by the General Council of the AfMA from among its members to serve for a period not to exceed three years:
Chairman General secretary
Vice Chairman Assist G. secretary
Second Vice Chairman Treasurer
Financial Secretary Three non officio members
Not more than one officer may be selected from any one country.
Chapter Four: Finance
Article XI Budget and Audit
The Executive Council shall approve an annual budget for the Association and make such arrangements as it shall consider adequate for funding the budget adopted.
- The Treasurer shall arrange for an annual audit of the accounts by a chartered accountant and this audit report shall be presented at each annual meeting of the Executive Council. The annual financial report shall be mailed to each member of the Association.
Chapter Five: Amendments
This Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of all voting delegates present at the General Assembly provided that ninety days advance in writing has been given to the General Assembly members.
The General Council shall have the power to make, amend, and repeal the bylaws at its meeting by a two-thirds of all members present.
The Constitution shall be effective from September 2013 (the date of its adoption).